Snowdonia Way (day 3) - Llanberis to Llanfairpwllgwyngyllgogerychwyrndrobwllllantysiliogogogoch [The End]
Last day of my version of the Snowdonia Way, it was mostly easy road walking with few hiking moments thrown in the mix today. First I've walked to Bethesda and I arrived here at breakfast time, the town itself was a bit run down and somewhat empty, I've bought few things to eat at Tesco and carried on to Bangor.
Bangor turned out to be almost complete opposite of Bethesda, there was a festival in town, there was music everywhere, you could buy every plastic thing ever produced from the street vendors and Postman Pat's and Batman's vehicles were parked just outside the cathedral. Families were enjoying crazy golf, bubbles and a dance show set to some 90s music. I've soaked in the atmosphere for about half an hour and carried on hiking.
An hour later I've crossed the bridge to Anglesey Island and arrived at my final destination of Llanfairpwllgwyngyllgogerychwyrndrobwllllantysiliogogogoch the longest town name in the world (there were few things with longer names but non of it was a town or a city). I've taken few obligatory pictures with the sign at the railway station and bought few fridge magnets after which I had to answer the question: What next?
I wanted to stay on Anglesey Island and decided to take a train to it's very end station Holy Head on a Holy Island, which would meant that I would be on an island off an island off an island which seemed like a good idea. Half an hour later I arrived at this historical port town, many ferries from Ireland and other countries were docking here. I took a stroll along the coast and walked the entire "arm" of the port (which was really long) up to the small lighthouse at the end, there was plenty of fisherman hoping to catch something but it looked like they were out of luck today.
I've carried on walking along the coast to the second lighthouse called South Stack Lighthouse and because it was getting late I was hoping to find somewhere good to camp in the area. I climbed the cliff just above the lighthouse and found a perfect spot to camp and enjoy the sunset beforehand, soon enough the entire cliff was dotted with dozens of people which came to enjoy the sunset as well. It was one of the most memorable moments of this trip for me. As the sun slowly hid behind the clouds, I could see outline of Ireland just ahead of me and Isle of Man to my left, it felt really nice to be in this moment and I almost forgot just how nice it was to simply enjoy the sunset with seagulls flying around, humans chattering and gentle waves crashing along the coast, it was really a special moment.
Once the sun was gone and a sliver of moon poked it's head out of the cloud, people started to leave and I slowly made my way to my designated campsite. I had to wait until everyone was gone to minimize the risk of being reported as camping in Wales, Anglesey Island or not was still not legal. I managed to set the tent up just before it got dark and quiet, it looked like the sea and all it's inhabitants fell asleep as well.
Comments
Post a Comment