Snowdonia Way (day 2) - Trawsfynydd Nuclear Power Station to Llanberis
I've made a decision to ditch the plan of following Snowdonia Way and decided to create my own version of it. Why you might ask? Well the map provided by the app "Hiiker" was severely outdated (the bridge in Trawsfynydd has been decommissioned four years ago and it was still part of the path) parts of the trail were severely overgrown and non existent and the final straw for me way that Snowdonia Way did not include climbing up on Snowdon and instead it was meandering around it. What's the point coming to Snowdonia and not climbing it's premiere mountain?
I've packed my gear in the morning and had quite a traverse though an overgrown bog until I've reached Penrhyndeudraeth and had a lovely bagel with a latte at a Gorilla Cafe, from here I've mostly road walked to Nantmor and took a Snowdonia Slate Trail (to which I would comeback later on that day) along the river to a pretty village of Beddgelert, here I've had another coffee and cake and got few nice fridge magnets one saying "I've climbed the Snowdon" before I've even done it, the nerve!
I've carried on the Cambrian Way and Caflwyn Walk until I've reached Watkin Path one of several ways to reach Snowdon. It took me few hours and I reached the top at around 3pm, it was still very busy up here and the train was delivering new waves of tourists, I took a picture, and proceeded down the Llanberis Way down the other side of the mountain. I've got down just before 6pm, had yet another coffee and proceeded to hike along the Snowdonia Slate Trail, my plan now was to reach Bangor, cross the river to Anglesey Island and finish the trail at the Welsh town with the longest name, Llanfairpwllgwyngyllgogerychwyrndrobwllllantysiliogogogoch! A friend of mine told me that its nearby my end point (Conwy) and that I should go and at least take a picture there but I decided to flip my initial plan on its head and finish the trail here rather than in Conwy.
I've set camp on top of a hill in Llanberis in what I can only describe as a city park hoping that no one would report me to authorities which would surely end up in kicking me out but I took my chances, it was fairly late and very few people were here at this point.
Overall a very good day, Snowdon was the last of my "Three Peaks" so I can cross it off my to do list.
Comments
Post a Comment