It's all about stairs in this place, normally you wouldn't even stop, while passing next to this smashed to bits office building.. but quoting Oldskool after visiting here: "Never judge the book by it's cover", yup.
Amazing day of hiking, it's almost like Isle of Skye Trail had two faces, one before and one after Portree, the second one was why I came here for! Trail was following cliffs for first few miles until it reached the road and first outstanding part of the trail Old Man of Storr rock formation, place was teeming with tourists and with a good reason, the mountain was beautiful. From here path followed a ridge and then an endurance rollercoaster commenced of climbing cliffs, the view on both sides of the island was great and well worth the effort. I've seen quite a few hikers going south as well. Finally the Quiraing revealed itself, an otherworldly landslip at the end of Trotternish ridge, an absolutely spectacular rock formation with hundreds of tourists walking it's 4 mile circuit. It was truly worth to hike across the Isle of Skye to see this and I hope I will one day return and explore this special place again. From here trail dropped to the sea level and followed a coasta...
[Three Rocks to Beverly Beach State Park] "I don't take seriously anyone who talks about the environmental issues in this country anymore" Rad, the biker. Today kind of sucked but at least it had a good beginning. I went down from the Three Rocks and followed the road back to Highway 101 where I got a fairly quick hitchhike to Lincoln City. Once here I went straight to Safeway', did a small resupply and an obligatory Ben&Jerry's ice-cream, it was 'Topped Dirt Cake' today. I sat down on the bench outside the market and started to eat my breakfast. Then a guy walking to his car asked me if I hiked a lot so far, so I told him about my PCT adventure and current Oregon Trail travel he seemed impressed and handed me a bunch of banknotes adding up to 23 dollars, it was the second time it happened to me on trail, very generous gesture and actually helps me quite a bit since I can't currently withdraw any cash because I don't have a working bank card. I...
"The footpath they build had no historical basis. It didn't follow any Indian trails or colonial post roads. It didn't even seek out the best views, highest hills or most notable landmarks. In the end, it went nowhere near Mount Mitchell, though it did take in Mount Washington and then carried on another 350 miles to Mount Katahdin in Maine. (Avery, who had grown up in Maine and done his formative hiking there, was most insistent on this.) Essentially, it went where access could be gained, mostly high up on the hills, over lonely ridges and forgotten hollows that no one had ever used or coveted, or sometimes even named. It fell short of the actual southern end of the Appalachian Mountain chain by 150 miles and of the northern end by nearer 700. The work camps and chalets, the schools and study centres, were never built." Bill Bryson "A Walk in the Woods" Day spent eating, chatting and watching movies, a lot of familiar faces joined in...
Comments
Post a Comment